Pages

Friday, February 27, 2015

Lady Gaga at The Oscars


Although I will admit I was not able to watch this years Oscars because I had to perform, it was not long before I started to hear about Lady Gaga's performance of The Sound of Music medley.  In my second blog I described my childhood as being similar to that of the Von Trapp's, so naturally I was very excited to hear how this cross-over turned out.  The first sound clips I heard honestly blew my mind.  Who was this singing and what did they do with Lady Gaga!

Of course many people had their own opinion and I am shocked to see the negative press and tweets from celebrities who felt Idina Menzel should have been the one to perform this.  I highly doubt the Oscars Artistic Director had wanted a woman with the high-pitched nasal voice of a child to sing Julie Andrews music. Not to mention, Lady Gaga worked with a vocal coach from the Oscars for six months prior to the show in order to perfect her vocal techniques.


After listening to her complete performance on YouTube, I can say that her vibrato was very controlled, her pitch and tonality on the notes in the upper register were bang on, and her key changes in between songs were flawless.  Two of the pieces were originally sung by a man, so there is no way Idina Menzel could have pulled that off. Just not the right voice type at all for this material. 

This has been a great year for Lady Gaga in terms of love and career success.  Not only did she recently get engaged to actor Taylor Kinney, she also put out a Jazz album with Tony Bennett, proving to the world that she can really sing, and she can sing anything.  A true talent is diverse and can make anything sound good.  I think an Amercian Idol judge said that once!  She is also set to star in the upcoming season of American Horror Story, one of the only two TV series I actually make time to watch.

Since I love Lady Gaga so much, I had to do a cover of at least one of her songs.  Here is a version I perform by my girl Marcela Mangebeira a la bossa nova style.  Enjoy!

If you were not in the loop this week, I have posted the video here for you to judge.  Did Lady Gaga fail miserably?  Did she do a better job than Carrie Underwood's Live TV Performance?  Please share your thoughts on this, inquiring minds want to know!



Lady Gaga sings The Sound of The Music 



Bad Romance by Marcela Mangebeira (Lady Gaga Cover)

10 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of Lady Gaga but I think she did a great job! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Lady Gaga's performance during the Oscar's! Admittedly, I was little surprised when she came out singing so well but she did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this performance by Lady Gaga - what a way to show her talent and how diverse she can be - i think this was a great move on her part to gain a slightly older audience who may not listen to some of her more "modern day" music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think people have gotten to caught up in the whole "moma monster" thing and have forgotten that lady gaga is talented and respects music. Her name gaga comes form QUEEN!, "all we hear is radio ga ga, radio goo goo". So I clicked on you link of Idina Menzel... 1 I strongly dislike frozen, 2 no way she could have done as good of a job as Lady gaga. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady Gaga is such a brave and unique woman. Her voice is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not going to confess to being a Lady GaGa fan, however her performance and compilation of Sound of Music left me speechless. You can't deny that she has such a powerful voice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely forgot that Lady gaga had that kind of classical technique, it really was well done. Also, the cover video at the bottom was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This performance by Lady Gaga was one of the best performances I have ever seen before! She toned down her normal look and shocked audiences all over the world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Her performance was outstanding. Every time I've heard her live I always get chills. I love how emotionally she is when she performs, she really shows her passion through her music.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved her performance too. Beautiful voice.

    ReplyDelete